RV Safe Driving Training Program
Safe Driver Training Program
The RVSEF ‘Safe Driver’ training program is recognized by the insurance industry, RVIA and RVDA as a comprehensive driving training program designed to educate RV operators on the safe operation of their recreation vehicle. This program was developed in cooperation with the National Safety Council, American Safety Council and the Iowa Highway Patrol “Office of Education.” This six-hour onsite class is designed to increase driver awareness, identify drivers’ abilities, understand and identify drivers’ vehicle(s), determine conditions that affect driving and make participants safer drivers. Everyone completing this course will receive a certificate that may entitle them to a discount on their insurance rates. The terms and amount of discounts will vary by state and company, so check with your insurance agent regarding your RV coverage. There will be a one-hour break for lunch (not included in the course fee.) Topics covered include:
- Preparation: know your vehicle, trip planning, pre-trip inspections,, driving with propane.
- Weight Safety: how to safely load an RV, dangers of overloading, road use laws.
- Tire Safety: understanding tire construction, how to properly inflate tires, proper inflation pressures, how to handle a blow-out.
- Know your abilities: reaction time, eye sight, hearing, medications.
- Driving Basics: mountain driving, construction zones, intersections, road rage, no-zone, defensive driving, backing up
- Braking: braking distance and proper braking techniques.
- Towing: hitches and ratings, connections, checklist, and inspections.
Tour duration: 7 hrs.
Times: June 20th ~ 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Cost: $85 per person.
Cost includes instructor and certificate of completion. This is a lecture only class – no actually driving required.
Class reservations can be made online when making your reservation for The Good Sam Rally, or if you are already signed up for The Good Sam Rally, call 1-877-749-7122 to have a class added to your reservation. We recommended that you sign up for classes as quickly as possible, since space is limited.